So, one of my newest devotionals I have picked up is A Year with C.S. Lewis. C.S. Lewis is one of my literary heroes. He is one of the most eloquent writers I have seen yet. His writings are so deep, but they make a lot of sense in today's world. That is pretty incredible for a man who wrote books back in the 1940's! The more I read some of these excerpts, the more I want to read the books they came from. So, to the best of my ability, I am going to post one excerpt a week from what I have been reading. Some of this stuff is pretty mind-blowing. Here is the one from this week. Hope it is a blessing to your week!
An excerpt from Mere Christianity...
When you come to knowing God, the initiative lies on His side. If He does not show Himself, nothing you can do will enable you to find Him. And, in fact, He shows much more of Himself to some people than to others--not because He has favourites, but because it is impossible for Him to show Himself to a man whose mind and character are in the wrong condition. Just as sunlight, though it has no favourites, cannot be reflected through a dusty mirror as clearly as in a clean one. You can put this in another way by saying that while in other sciences the instruments you use are things external to yourself(things like microscopes and telescopes), the instrument through which you see God is your whole self. And if a man's self is not kept clean and bright, his glimpse of God will be blurred-- Like the Moon seen through a dirty telescope. That is why horrible nations have horrible religions: They have been looking at God through a dirty lens!
See you next blog!
In His Awesome Service,
Ben C. (Gal. 2:20)
No comments:
Post a Comment