Sunday, February 1, 2015

Unstoppable Truth even in the face of Scrutiny

We put no obstacle in anyone’s way, so that no fault may be found with our ministry, but as servants of God we commend ourselves in every way: by great endurance, in afflictions, hardships, calamities, beatings, imprisonments, riots, labors, sleepless nights, hunger; by purity, knowledge, patience, kindness, the Holy Spirit, genuine love; by truthful speech, and the power of God; with the weapons of righteousness for the right hand and for the left; through honor and dishonor, through slander and praise. We are treated as impostors, and yet are true; as unknown, and yet well known; as dying, and behold, we live; as punished, and yet not killed; as sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, yet possessing everything. (2 Corinthians 6:3-10 ESV)

Paul has full confidence in his Savior and in the message of the gospel even in the midst of scrutiny. There has always been opposition to the truth in Paul's travels. This one questions his integrity and motive behind his ministry. In the verses that follow, you can see the way Paul "commends" him and his compatriots troubles. This is not being selfish or prideful, but making a point that this ministry has nothing to do with selfish ambition or gain. Afflictions, beatings, imprisonments, and hunger are marks of the cost of following Christ. But instead of using those as a call for pity, he uses it as a platform for the goodness and provision of the Holy Spirit. Even in the midst of all the suffering, the Holy Spirit brings life and endurance. The Holy Spirit provides clarity, strength and joy in the most unlikely of places. Paul proves here that his ministry had nothing to do with him and everything to do with God. 

As a Christ Follower, there will be times when my integrity will come into question. My motives will be questioned as I live for His truth and spread it to others. I have to remember that I am in an intense battlefield. The enemy will use any tactics necessary to keep me from letting other people in on the Truth of His Word. He will use fear of rejection, shame and criticism (just to name a few) to keep me silent. 

One of those attacks I have seen clearly is fear. I have watched fear have its devastating effects on many close to me. Even in a Christian home, anxiety and fear seem to reside over any major decision that was made while I was growing up. These are the attacks that have kept me from sharing the Gospel. I anticipate the challenges, the questions, and  the scrutiny. But isn't this a mark of the life I now live as I live for Christ? 

If I am to take the example of Paul here, I should see those challenges not as something to be afraid of, but as a platform for God to be further glorified! As I am questioned about my faith, I can see it as a great chance for God to work through me in a powerful way! I also can have confidence in that whatever trials may come, that God has promised to sustain me through it! Does not mean it will not be hard, but that He will provide endurance through the adversity. The Holy Spirit will provide joy and peace where it doesn't seem possible. The Truth of His Word cannot be stopped, even through adversity. I can have confidence in this as I seek to share it with boldness as Paul did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment